Article Written by Adam Corsair (@ACorsair21)
I'm going to try to post one of these little quick thoughts after as many games as possible. By doing so, I plan to list what I thought was worth highlighting, both the positives and negatives (but I'll try not to focus so much on the negatives unless they're glaring). With that, here are a few things that I noticed for tonight's game against the Brewers on April 11, 2017 -
- Home Opener against a National League team? I mmmeeeaaannnn..... at least it's a home game? Right?
- Josh Donaldson was held out of the starting lineup due to tightness in his calf. We are told that this is not in the same area in his calf as the one that held him out of a large portion of Spring Training. Gibby insinuated that he would be available to pinch hit if needed (he was in the 9th).
- Roberto Osuna has been removed from the 10-Day DL and will be available out of the bullpen to close out tonight's contest. Call it a trade off.
- Are the Brewers serious with these fan-boy socks?!
- Not how you want to start off a game... at all.
- Happ didn't have his best stuff tonight. He went 4.2 innings, giving up 4 earned runs, 9 hits, 8 K's, issuing 102 pitches - 70 of which for strikes (69%). He fell pretty flat in the zone, which lead to two costly home-runs. While 8 strikeouts is still very good and definitely a silver-lining in this outing, you hope he'll be able to rebound in the near future. Don't get hung up on this one, guys.
- Peralta was sharp tonight, pitching 6 innings, giving up 3 earned runs, 5 hits, 4 walks, 7 strikeouts, throwing 112 pitches - 67 of which for strikes (60%). Tip your cap.
- If there's anything to be encouraged with, it has to be Tulowitzki's bat coming completely alive, as he had two clutch hits, driving in every run for the Jays, going 2-3 with those two hits being doubles.
- Still not panicking. Neither should you.
- I promise I'll have a more substantial piece this week.
- Jays fall, 4-3.
- Player of the Game: Troy Tulowitzki
Follow South of the 6ix on Twitter (@SouthOfThe6ix)