Article Written by Adam Corsair (@ACorsair21)
I'm going to try to post one of these little quick thoughts after as many games as possible. By doing so, I plan to list what I thought was worth highlighting, both the positives and negatives (but I'll try not to focus so much on the negatives unless they're glaring). With that, here are a few things that I noticed for tonight's game against the Braves on May 17, 2017 -
- Mike Foltynewicz took the mound for Atlanta, and Biagini started on the hill for Toronto.
- This is my first look at SunTrust Park. I have to admit, it looks super nice. Call it jealousy, but there's something about a nicely groomed ballpark that makes the game much more enjoyable to watch. I doubt I'm alone on that.
- Regardless of how the season ends up, it's hard to argue that Biagini hasn't made the Jays much more enjoyable to watch than they would be had he didn't start.
- HAVING SAID THAT - Christ, that was a terrible way to start off the game. To Biagini's credit, he did retire twelve in a row after the 6 runs, so... yeah.
- Atlanta = Savage
Organist plays theme song to Barney as Darwin Barney steps up to plate ...— Shi Davidi (@ShiDavidi) May 18, 2017
- So it wasn't the best performance by Biagini in the 1st inning, but the subsequent innings weren't that bad, really. Biagini threw 67 pitches - 45 for strikes (67%) - over 4 innings, giving up 3 hits, 5 earned runs, 3 strikeouts, and 2 walks.
- Foltynewicz was solid in the early part of his outing, but unraveled a bit in the 4th - giving up a 2-run shot to Justin Smoak (who's been looking very sharp at the plate, lately). He rebounded well, finishing tonight pitching 6 innings, throwing 102 pitches - 67 for strikes (66%) - allowing 6 hits, 3 earned runs, 1 walk, and 1 strikeout.
- As much as we'd like to bitch about it, the Carrera interference was the right call. It sucks, but if Carrera went behind him, it may have been a bases loaded opportunity. Oh well. That's baseball.
- Speaking of "that's baseball," that lead-off double in the 6th by Suzuki that bounced off the bag... I mean... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- It all pretty much unraveled in the 6th inning for the Jays. The relief wasn't anything to brag about, to say the least. Jays look to bounce back tomorrow to salvage this 4-game "series" against the Braves (I put series in quotes only because of the travel).
- Bautista still coming alive as he hit a massive shot to left in the 8th.
- This bench-clearing crap needs to stop. I mean, I love me some Bautista Bat Flips, but when you're down by 4 runs? C'mon...
- Jays fall, 8-4.
- Player of the Game: Justin Smoak
Follow South of the 6ix on Twitter (@SouthOfThe6ix)