Article Written by Adam Corsair (@ACorsair21)
I'm going to try to post one of these little quick thoughts after as many games as possible. By doing so, I plan to list what I thought was worth highlighting, both the positives and negatives (but I'll try not to focus so much on the negatives unless they're glaring). With that, here are a few things that I noticed for tonight's game against the Reds on May 30, 2017 -
- Just like that - J.A. Haps returns from the DL to start for the Jays tonight! Slowly but surely, the core pieces are starting to come back together. Need more proof? There's this -
Slowly but surely.
- File this under the - "When did this happen?!" category:
Apparently Mat Latos got released? OK then...
- For the Reds, Asher Wojciechowski (yes, I had to Google search and copy/paste that. No shame. Judge me!) took the mound. Fun fact! When the Jays made that 10-Player Trade with Houston back in 2012 that brought J.A. Haps over for his initial run, they also traded Wojciechowski to Houston as part of the deal. Sort of serendipitous, no?
- Also, before I get into tonight's game - Last night? 17 runs off 23 hits?! A Tulo Grand Slam!? Russell Martin and Justin Smoak also hitting bombs? All day.
- Soooo.... back-to-back home-runs to start the game. Yeesh.
- BUT! Happ battled back with a 1-2-3 2nd.
- Happ wasn't as sharp as you'd like him to be, but being on a pitch-count and right off the DL, it was a good performance. Happ finished tonight throwing 81 pitches - 48 for strikes (59%), over 4 innings, giving up 3 hits, 2 earned runs, 3 strikeouts, and 3 walks. Given that he was scheduled to throw only 75 pitches, he retired the last 4 batters he faced and looked like he was beginning to fall into a groove. He also didn't look like he was suffering any set-backs, so there's that.
- 5th decker for Josh Donaldson! He DESTROYED that one! Honestly, if you didn't see it, it was absolutely gorgeous.
- Back-to-back in the 1st for Cincinnati? OK. Back-to-back in the 4th for the Jays! Bautista is seriously raking this month and it's coming at a great time!
- Martin homers two days in a row! How can anybody not be loving this team?!?
- Wojciechowski was sharp up until the 4th, serving some cookies which almost resulted in THREE consecutive bombs. Wojciechowski finished tonight throwing 69 pitches - 43 for strikes (62%) - giving up 4 hits, 4 earned runs, and 2 strikeouts in 4 innings.
- Danny Barnes relieved Happ in the 5th inning and was alright if you ignore the home-run to Cozart to bring the game within 1 run.
- MORALES SAVES THE DAY!! Is it just me or has the past couple games felt like 2015?
- Osuna with the save. But of course!
- Jays take it, 6-4.
- Player of the Game: I want to give it to Morales for the tie-breaker, but that Josh Donaldson home-run was a thing of beauty.
- Getaway game for the Reds tomorrow at 12:37. Can't hate on daytime baseball while at the office.
Follow South of the 6ix on Twitter (@SouthOfThe6ix)